IISER Kolkata invites applications from motivated students for admission to the Integrated PhD Programme for the Autumn 2021. This programme comprises of two years of Masters-level coursework followed by four years of dedicated research towards PhD. There is no provision of exiting the program with a Masters degree.
Instructions for the screening test for IPhD program, Physical Sciences (DPS), 2021:
- The exam will start at 11 am, Saturday, 19 June 2021, and will be of 60 minutes duration.
- The link to the exam portal will be available in this webpage 10 minutes before the exam starts.
- You will have to enter your email, name, application number, category, date of birth, and other details. These details must be identical to what you provided in your application.
- There would be negative marks for incorrect answers.
- The quiz form must be submitted within the 60 minute time limit. If you do not submit the form, your answers will not be recorded.
- The form could be edited anytime within the 60 minute duration, even after the submission.
- No extra time will be given to anyone.
Students with a B.Sc./B.E./B.Tech./M.B.B.S. or an equivalent degree from any recognized University/Institute/College can apply for the Integrated PhD Programme in Biological Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Earth Sciences and Physical Sciences.
*Candidates whose final B.Sc./B.E./B.Tech./MBBS exam remained incomplete due to the pandemic, may also apply. Admission, however, will be subject to completion of all formalities, as described below, in 'Selection procedure'.
Minimum Qualifying marks:
Candidates need to secure a minimum of 60% marks/equivalent grades in Honours/Major (if applicable), or 60% marks/equivalent grades in Aggregate (if Honours/Major is not applicable). Those who are appearing in the final examination of their degree course can also apply; for them, the eligibility marks are 60% based on the marks obtained in the undergraduate examinations held till the date of submission of the application form.
Reservations for candidates will be as per Govt.of India norms.
The qualifying marks for SC/ST/OBC candidates are 50% as per Central Government relaxation policy.
Who can apply:
Please note that applicants who have qualified in the following nationwide aptitude tests in the year 2021 only can apply for the programme :
For Biological Sciences: JAM (Biotechnology) / JGEEBILS
For Chemical Sciences: JAM (Chemistry)
For Earth Sciences: (a) JAM (Geology) OR (b) JAM Chemistry for research in Environmental Science OR (c) JAM Physics for research in Computational Mineralogy
For Physical Sciences: JAM (Physics)/JEST (Physics)
Subject combination at Undergraduate level:
Students applying for the Integrated PhD Programme are required to have the following subject(s) in the undergraduate courses:
Important Dates :
| Biological Sciences
|| Any branch of Biological Sciences/ Biotechnology/ Medical Sciences
|| Chemistry at undergraduate level, and Mathematics in plus II or a course in mathematics AND/OR statistics at undergraduate level
| Chemical Sciences
|| Physics and Mathematics
| Earth Sciences
a. Any branch of Earth Sciences/Environmental Science/Environmental Engineering
b. Students with major in Chemistry may apply if they are interested in research in Environmental Science
c. Students with major in Physics may apply if interested in research in Computational Mineralogy
|Physics/Chemistry and Mathematics
| Physical Sciences
How to apply:
Application portal opens
1st April 2021
Application portal closes
14th May 2021
One week after the JEST exam results are announced (for Physical Sciences only)
Publication of Shortlist for Interview / Written Screening (only Department of Biological Sciences)
17th May 2021
Approximately few days after the application portal closes(for Physical Sciences only)
|Tentative Dates for each Department
|Online written screening test
||24th May 2021
||19th June 2021
|Publication of screening test result
||26th May 2021
||19th-20th June 2021
||27th and 28th May 2021
||20th and 21st May 2021
||24th and 25th May 2021
||June 21-22 2021
|Publication of interview results
||7th June 2021
||7th June 2021
||7th June 2021
||will be announced by 1st July 2021
|Preregistration portal opens
||8th June 2021
||9th July 2021
||28th July 2021
||28th July 2021
The applicants should open the link at the bottom of this page (Submit New Application) and properly fill the application form as instructed and submit. Applicants should save the properly filled application form and take a print as the hard copy of the application.
In case a candidate is applying to multiple departments, separate applications needs to be filled for each department.
The interview may be arranged online due to COVID restrictions and the candidates may need to send/upload the soft copies of the documents (to be verified against original at the time of the first physical appearance at the IISER Kolkata; the admission remains provisional until the physical verification). In the case of a physical interview, candidates selected for interview should bring a printout of application form along with the required documents (along with originals) listed below at the time of interview:
- Self-attested copies of mark sheets and certificates of all examinations starting from secondary examination.
- Self -attested copy of the qualifying examination certificate.
Candidates are supposed to provide the details of the referee in the application form.
Recommendation Letters for shortlisted candidates will be required to be submitted online in the prescribed format by the teachers. The Prescribed format for the recommendation letter is available (download here) .Teachers of shortlisted candidates will be sent a link using which they will be able to submit their reference letter to the portal.
- Proof of qualification in nationwide aptitude tests.
- Photo identity.
- Proof of age.
- Statement of Purpose mentioning research interest and potential supervisors (if any).
- Institute-level committee(s) will scrutinize all the applications, and prepare a shortlist of candidates, who will be called for an interview. For students applying to Department of Biological Sciences, an online written screening test will be conducted and only shortlisted students will be called for the interviews.
- Email addresses of two teachers will be sought from shortlisted candidates. These must be teachers who have taught courses and would be able to evaluate the student as a potential research worker.
- The Institute will finally declare the list of selected candidates on the Institute website.
- For candidates whose final examination marks are not available at the time of interview, admission to the programme will be provisional. Such candidates would have to produce final marksheet to the Academic Office within 60 days of their admission and having secured a minimum of 60% of marks/equivalent grades in Honours/Major (if applicable), or 60% marks/equivalent grades in aggregate (if Honours/Major is not applicable).
For any additional query email us at:
iphd AT iiserkol.ac.in
Enquiries sent to any other person or e-mail address may not be entertained.