Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
Applications are invited from motivated candidates to pursue research in any area of Economics. Candidates interested to pursue empirical reseach in the area of development economics, behavioral economics, public policy and taxation are particularly encouraged to apply.
The minimum eligibility criteria are as follows:
- A Master's degree in Economics or any other subject with a minimum of 55% marks or CGPA/CPI of 6.5 on a 10-point scale.
- Non-economics candidates must have mathematics/statistics as a subject in under graduation level.
- Area: Development Economics, Labour Economics, Public Policy
- Marks: 1st (60%) throughout
Candidates having their own valid PhD fellowship (UGC/CSIR-NET JRF or any other equivalent fellowship) are strongly encouraged to apply. Few Institute fellowships might be available for deserving candidates who do not have fellowship provided that they have qualified any national level entrance exam such as NET (apart from satisfying minimal eligibility criteria).
Please take a note of the following points:
- Fulfilling the minimum eligibility criteria does not ensure that a candidate will be called for the interview.
- A candidate must fill up the form carefully as additional short-listing criteria will be set based on academic records, experience and statement of purpose of the candidates as provided in the application form.
- A written test may precede the interview for further short-listing and candidates will be informed about the syllabus, time and venue accordingly.
- The candidates will be allowed to appear at the interview only after proper verification of documents.
- In case of overnight stay, the candidates have to arrange the accommodation on their own.
Course work: Candidates admitted for the PhD programme must undergo course work of not less than 16 credits. Candidates may take one or two ecomomics course of the department, one research methodology course from another department and one/two courses from Mathematics and Statistics department. PhD supervisor would advise the candidate on the courses to be taken.
The departmental faculty profiles can be found at the URL:Click Here
PhD application portal opens: 11.04.2022
Application portal closes: 22.04.2022
Publication of shortlist for Written test/Interview: 07.05.2022
Tentative Written test/Interview dates: May 15 – June 04, 2022
Publication of PhD interview results: 13.06.2022
Preregistration portal opens: 15.06.2022
Preregistration deadline: 26.07.2022
PhD Registration: 28.07.2022