The Department of Earth Sciences (DES), IISER Kolkata is looking for bright and motivated students, who have completed their M.Sc./MS/M.Sc. Tech/M. Tech (with minimum of 55% marks) in :
1) Geology/Applied Geology/Geophysics /Earth Sciences/Marine geology/Environmental Sciences/Environmental Studies/Atmospheric Science/Environmental Engineering/Civil Engineering or any other branch of Geological sciences.
2) Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics/Biological Sciences/Computational Seismology/interested to pursue research with the DES faculty member in the matching specialization.
Some of the important information about this program is provided below.
Final year post-graduate students who are yet to obtain their degree may also apply; however, they must have completed their degree at the time of admission. Some of the important information about this program is provided below.
Eligibility for externally funded students:
- Candidates having valid CSIR NET JRF / UGC-NET JRF / DST-INSPIRE / other equivalent fellowship would be eligible to apply.
- Candidates must have physics, chemistry and mathematics at 10+2 level, and at least one of these subjects at their bachelor level.
- They can work with any faculty member in DES based on mutual research interest. The research areas are listed below:-
- Geophysics, Seismology, Continental Tectonics, Seismic Tomography, Ambient Noise Tomography, Computational Geophysics / Seismology. Students willing to work in this field must have math and physics at the bachelor's level.
- Environmental Chemistry: (1) Application of eco-friendly nanoparticles for the remediation of contaminants in the environment (2) Understanding the stability and transport properties of nanoparticles in the subsurface environment. Students willing to work in this field must have studied chemistry as a subject at bachelor's level.
- Atmospheric science - chemical characterization of aerosols, sources and transport, impacts of aerosols on air quality and climate change.
- Computational Mineral Physics : Study of structural, electronic, magnetic, thermodynamical and mechanical properties of minerals under high pressure and temperature. Students willing to work in this field must have physics or chemistry in bachelor's level.
Eligibility for institute funded students:
Candidates must have qualified in one of the following examinations, GATE, SLET, UGC/CSIR NET-LS, INSPIRE, other equivalent examination.
The institute will fund student interested to work in the -
- Computational Mineral Physics- Study of structural, electronic, magnetic, thermodynamical and mechanical properties of minerals under high pressure and temperature. Candidates must have physics, chemistry and mathematics at 10+2 level. Students willing to work in this field must have physics or chemistry in bachelor's level.
- An integrated study involving petrological (igneous and metamorphic), geochemical and geochronological investigations to understand crustal evolution. Candidates should have a strong background in Petrology and preferably have a specialization in metamorphic petrology during his/her M.Sc. / MS / M. Tech degree.
Candidates must fulfill essential qualification / have matching research interest given under the different research areas.
Please note that fulfilling the minimum essential criteria does not ensure that a candidate will be called for the interview. Additional criteria for shortlisting might be set by the department based on academic records, experience and research interest of the candidates. Reservations of candidates will be as per government norms.
The departmental faculty profiles can be found at the URL: Click Here