Applications for externally funded PhD positions in Department of Earth Sciences (DES)
The Department of Earth Sciences (DES), IISER Kolkata is looking for bright and motivated students, who have completed their M.Sc./MS/M.Sc. Tech/M. Tech (with minimum of 55% marks
) in: 1) Geology/Applied Geology/Geophysics/Earth Sciences/Marine geology/Environmental Sciences/Environmental Studies/Atmospheric Science/Environmental Engineering/Civil Engineering or any other branch of Geological sciences.
2) Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics/Biological Sciences/Computational Seismology/interested to pursue research with the DES faculty member in the matching specialization.
Final year post-graduate students who are yet to obtain their degree may also apply; however, they must have completed their degree at the time of admission. Some of the important information about this program is provided below.
Eligibility for externally funded students:
Candidates having valid CSIR NET JRF / UGC-NET JRF / DST-INSPIRE / other equivalent fellowship
would be eligible to apply. Candidates must have physics, chemistry and mathematics
at 10+2 level, and at least one of these subjects at their bachelor level. They can work with any faculty member in DES based on mutual research interest. The research areas in which department is looking for young and bright minds are listed below-
- Earth Surface Dynamics - Dr. Sanjay Kumar Mandal Detailed Areas, Click Here
- Metamorphic Petrology - Dr. Tapabrato Sarkar Detailed Areas, Click Here
- Paleobiology - Dr. Subhronil Mondal Detailed Areas, Click Here
- Organic Geochemistry - Prof. Prasanta Sanyal Detailed Areas, Click Here
- Archean crustal evolution - Prof. Sukanta Dey Detailed Areas, Click Here
- Seismology- Dr. Kajaljyoti Borah Detailed Areas, Click Here
Please note hat fulfilling the minimum essential criteria does not ensure that a candidate will be called for the interview. Additional criteria for shortlisting might be set by the department based on academic records, experience and research interest of the candidates. Reservations of candidates will be as per government norms.
The departmental faculty profiles can be found at the URL: Click Here