IISER Kolkata Post-doctoral Fellowship (PDF) Programme
The Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) Kolkata was established by the Ministry of Education (MoE), Government of India as an Institute of National Importance in the year 2006. The basic mandate of the IISERs is to provide quality science education and to carry out research in basic and frontier areas of science involving both undergraduate and postgraduate students. Through borderless and flexible education programmes, IISERs provide an opportunity for young students to experience the excitements of research in science. In essence, IISERs are devoted to both teaching and research in an integrated manner - thus nurturing both curiosity and creativity.
The main purpose of this post-doctoral fellowship programme is to enhance research productivity and generate an inter-institutional flux of young researchers at this Institute.
- The applicant must have obtained PhD degree from a recognized University/ Institute in India or abroad. Those who have submitted their PhD thesis and are awaiting award of the degree are also eligible to apply, on producing a thesis submission certificate. However, such candidates, if selected, will be offered lower fellowship amount till they qualify the eligible degree or till he/she produces at least a provisional certificate of successful thesis defense. A candidate may also apply if his/her supervisor certifies that the thesis will be submitted before the joining date. However, such persons, if selected, will be allowed to join only if he/she submits the thesis within the specified deadline for joining.
- IISER-K PDF can be availed only once by a candidate in his/her career.
- The selection of PDF's under this programme will usually take place twice each year, on the basis of an advertisement put out on the IISER Kolkata webpage.
- The upper age limit for the fellowship at the time of the submission of application is:
- Within 1 year after PhD: 34 years
- Within 2 years after PhD: 35 years
- More than 2 years after PhD: 37 years
- Age relaxation of 5 (five) years will be given to candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC/Physically Challenged & Women candidates.
Nature & Duration of Fellowship:
- The number of PDFs in a particular department at a given time should at most be half the number of regular faculty members in that department, spread out over the various sub-areas of specialization in the department.
- The distribution of PDF's in different areas of research within each department will be internally managed by the department.
- Each selected PDF should have at least one mentor, assigned by the department, whose specialization is related to his/her expertise. Identifying more than one mentor for a candidate is encouraged. A candidate has the option of naming upto 3 mentors of his/her choice at the time of application.
- If some selected PDF chooses a person attached to some interdisciplinary centre as the primary mentor, then he/she will be counted as belonging to the department to which the corresponding mentor belongs, in such a way that the guideline on the number of PDFs per department is satisfied. The needs of the centers will be taken into account during the selection, and such candidates will be entitled to the centre facilities.
- The fellowship is purely a temporary assignment, and will be offered initially for one year, to be extended to a second year if an evaluation finds their performance to be satisfactory. There may be a third year extension in exceptional cases.
- The consideration of applicants who have done their PhD at IISER-K is discouraged, unless there are extra-ordinary candidates or candidates with some unique expertise.
The fellows will be entitled to receive the grants as given below:
|Sl. No.||Budget Head||Amount
(a) Less than 1 year experience after PhD: Rs. 50,000 per month |
(b) 1year or more but less than 2 years of experience after PhD: Rs. 52,000 per month
(c) 2 years or more experience after PhD: Rs. 54,000 per month and
(d) Rs.35000/- per month for candidates who have submitted the thesis but degree not awarded
|3.||Research Grant||Rs. 50,000 per annum|
Research grant can be used for minor equipment, consumables, contingencies and domestic travel. There is no provision for providing manpower support under this scheme. The Fellow is expected to undertake the research objectives by himself/herself during the entire duration of the fellowship.
The fellows are not eligible to receive any other fellowship from any Government or Non-Governmental source during the tenure of the fellowship.
Selection & Mode of Application
- Candidates will have to apply to the respective departments as directed within the deadline specified by the departments.
- The applicant should identify up to three Mentors of his/her choice. Joint mentorship is encouraged.
- Subsequent to the above, each department will set up a selection committee containing members representing the different research areas in the department. In addition, there will be external experts in selections committees. The selection will preferably take place after each shortlisted candidate makes a presentation, online or physical.
- The selection will be based on the recommendations of the Selection Committee and on approval of the Competent Authority.
How to apply:
Applicants should submit the following documents (in pdf) to the email address of the departments before the last date of submission of application:
- Curriculum Vitae including a complete list of publications, a statement on research plans and a recent photograph
- Age Proof Certificate
- Qualification Certificates (Bachelor degree on wards)
- Category Certificate (in case of Age Relaxation)
- At least two letters of recommendation, to be mailed by the referees directly to the departments
Please click the respective departments below for more details on department specific requirements:
Biological Sciences The list of short-listed candidates for the interview will be published tentatively on 20.9.2021.
Chemical Sciences List of shortlisted candidates: [Click Here]
Computational and Data Sciences List of shortlisted candidates: [Click Here]
Humanities and Social Sciences
Mathematics & Statistics
Termination of Fellowship
- If any fellow wishes to terminate the fellowship, he/she shall inform the Dean of Faculty Affairs through the mentor and Head of the Department immediately.
IISER Kolkata reserves the right to terminate the Fellowship at any stage if it is convinced that appropriate progress is not being made or otherwise.
- Leave: PDFs are entitled to Casual Leave of 8 days and Annual Leave of 30 days in a calendar year (pro-rata basis). Participation in scientific conference/workshops/ symposia held in India or abroad will be treated as on duty. Maternity leave as per the Govt. of India instructions issued from time to time would be available to female candidates.
- Medical benefits: Routine OPD medical consultation shall be provided at the Medical Unit located within institute.
- Campus facilities: Access to Computer Centre, Central Library, Canteen Facilities, etc.
- Accommodation: In hostel or other appropriate guest rooms, subject to availability.
- The appointed person shall have no claim of appointment / absorption in IISER Kolkata.
- The prescribed educational qualifications are the bare minimum and mere possession of same does not entitle candidates to be called for interview. Therefore, it will be in the interest of the candidates, to mention all the qualifications and experience in the CV.
- No TA/DA will be admissible for appearing for the interview.
- Selected candidates will have to join duty immediately on receipt of the offer.
- No interim enquiries / correspondence / communication of any sort will be entertained on the matter.
- Canvassing in any form and / or bringing any influence, political, or otherwise, will be treated as a disqualification for the post applied for.