Admission to the IISER Kolkata Ph.D. Program for the Autumn Semester 2018
Center of Excellence in Space Sciences India, IISER Kolkata
We seek highly motivated candidates with MS/MSc/MTech degrees with at least 55% aggregate marks (or equivalent grade-point average) in Physical Sciences, or allied disciplines that are deemed suitable by the selection committee for PhD research in the space sciences. Final year post-graduate students who are yet to obtain their degree may also apply; however, they must have completed their degree at the time of admissions with the requisite aggregate marks. Preference will be given to candidates with their own PhD fellowships, such as, UGC/CSIR-NET JRF, INSPIRE or any other equivalent fellowship. Outstanding candidates, who do not have any independent fellowships, may also be selected if deemed suitable by the selection committee; however they should have qualified in at least one of the following exams: GATE, JEST, CSIR/UGC NET-LS.
Note that these are the minimum eligibility criterion. The selection committee will short-list a certain number of candidates based on their applications, inform them through email of this short-listing, and may seek additional details, including recommendation letters. The short-listed candidates will subsequently have to appear for an interview by a panel of experts and the final selection will be based upon the recommendation of this expert panel. The interview will be held at IISER Kolkata's campus either at Mohanpur or Kolkata, the date and details of which will be communicated to the short-listed candidates. In exceptional circumstances, some interviews may also be held via video-conferencing.
1. You will need a functional (personal) email-id for completing the online application. If you do not have one, create one before you apply.
2. Please have your picture (soft copy, preferably in JPG or PNG format) ready.
3. Please read the eligibility criteria above carefully.
4. The applicants should open the link (http://apply.iiserkol.ac.in/application) and under the option Apply For, choose "PhD in Space Sciences (Autumn 2018)".
5. Complete the application form as instructed. The form can be opened and edited/corrected until the last date.
6. In the field Remarks within the online application, write a statement of purpose, outlining your motivation for pursuing a PhD in sciences, and why you are interested in CESSI; this should be limited to 500 words. We suggest that you first write this using your favourite text editor and subsequently start the application process during which you can cut-and-paste the same into the online form.
7. You must complete your application. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
8. Applicants should save the completed application form and take a printout of the same. Those who are short-listed for the interview should bring a signed hard-copy of the application with them at the time of the interview.